Saturday, January 22, 2011

Scan Day

Today is Scan Day. We are at MDA now waiting for Dave to have the CT scan. He had blood work and xrays already this morning. His platelet count has been very low for a few days which has caused him to have pretty bad nose bleeds. They were back up to 40 today so they didn't have to give him any blood today...thank goodness. Normal platelet counts are 140-440. His had dropped to 27 on Thursday. I guess the more chemotherapy you have the more worn down your body becomes. So now we wait until Tuesday to see Dr. Ravi and get results. Thankfully, John, one of Dave's buddies is coming in on Sunday for a few days. This will help to keep his mind off the scan results. It will also be great having someone with us on results day. That seems to always be a hard day for us. Right now I am watching Dave drink the yucky drink he has to drink before the scan. Our sweet friend Sarah is keeping the kids today. She lives here in Houston and has been such a help to us. She is a friend of Debbie who is our friend in Anniston. We met her after a couple of months of being in Houston. She and her husband invited us into their home for dinner. I will never take for granted how nice it is to be in someones home. After a couple of months of hotels and apartment living it was so nice to be in their home. Our kids love her which makes it so nice to leave them with her.

Before I leave you today, I wanted to tell you a story about our nurse in the ER the other night. Dave was in alot pain when we got there. The good thing about the ER at MDA is that you don't have to wait long. He waited maybe 10 minutes before they got him back. After he was all settled his nurse J gave him pain medication. She stood at the end of the bed and rubbed his legs for a few minutes afterwards. I had to leave to go back out to the waiting room with the kids. I guess it was around 2 in the morning she came walking by me and went out of sight for a while. A little while later she came back and leaned over my shoulder and said " I've been in the chapel praying for your family." Then she kissed my cheek and went back upstairs to Dave. He said during the night she would rub his head. She had so much compassion for his pain. What a blessing it was to have J as our nurse.

12 comments:

Tom & Bek said...

Thankful God is placing brothers and sisters in your path. Have been thinking about you guys all day.

Anonymous said...

That's right you know The Lord sent that Angel to be with yall!

Jami said...

Sweet post, Lisa. Praying for results only God can give and thanking God for Sarah and Nurse J.

Crystal said...

What a sweet blessing nurse J was!! A glimpse of the goodnessof God! Praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

Praise God even in the Storm...He always knows who to send, what to send and when to send it. He is so mighty and his love for us is stronger than we can imagine. I am praying for you and your family Dave and Lisa. The love for your family is abundantly strong and the prayers even stronger. God Bless you this weeekend!!!! Extra Prayers going up on Monday!
Dara Murphy

The Allen Family said...

so many times i read your blog but never know exactly what to say... but i DO want you to know that we are praying for dave and for y'all as a family!

Jeromy Brown said...

It never ceases to amaze me at how God puts the right people in your life at the right time. We're praying for your family and trusting for good results.

Anonymous said...

Dave, Lisa and sweet family,
Just had to let you know how greatly I am uplifted with each reading of your blog. I am so thankful for your wonderful nurse and pray that there are many more like her taking care of patients and families in need. You all are such an inspiration to so many and we are praying for the most wonderful news on Tuesday. We love you all and are continually praying for complete healing! Phillip and Rhonda Haynes

Heather said...

Praying for a good night's rest and even better news tomorrow!!!!

cbryant81 said...

I went to Gordo High School while Mr Swinney was band director. I am just now learning of his cancer diagnosis. I want you to know our family is praying for your family. May God bless you all with a complete healing in 2011!

Lisa Lee said...

Lisa I have been in the medical field for a long time and that is one of the most inspirational stories I have heard. It seems today it is hard to find people with that kind of compassion. I am so thankful that yall have found that there. You are all in my prayers.

Laura Twilley said...

Wow, that is powerful and precious. Phillip and I have been praying for you and your family. I cannot imagine the struggles you have gone through. But thankfully we have Jesus to comfort us. We can rely on Him no matter what. Love you guys.

June 13

22 Years I wrote this blog post several years ago. I have added to it each year.  It's good to remember...... 1st year (1998-1999) o...